Saturday, August 05, 2006

Stephen Hawking


Stephen Hawking, if you've lived under a rock for the last 25 years, is the world's leading physicist and best-selling author who happens to be disabled. I visited Cambridge in Sept 2001 but kept missing meeting Professor Hawking. I've got a feeling he'd reved his chair to warp speed when he saw me. So, since I couldn't get an actual interview with him, I've asked questions to his best-seller A Breif History of Time. (I stole this idea from Al Frankin. Thanks, Al!)

Me:Is there any evidence there is a God or Goddess?
SH:
What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe?

Me:What is your best guess at what the Grand Unified theory is?
SH:One has to be grown up enough to realize that life is not fair. You have to do the best you can in the situation you are in.

Me:Does God play dice?
SH:
God not only plays dice, he sometimes throws them where they can't be seen.

Me:How many licks does it get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?
SH:
If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason--for then we would know the mind of God.

No comments: