Friday, January 12, 2007

The Last Word of 2006


First things first -- Pony is doing much better. She's not too fond of being on a diet, though (join the club, Pony).

Now, I received this in the E-Newsletter from Writer's Digest:

The American Dialect Society, a 117-year-old organization of
linguists, grammarians, historians and independent scholars,
selected "plutoed"--to demote or devalue someone or
something--as its 2006 Word of the Year. The term, which
started when the General Assembly of the International
Astronomical Union took away Pluto's designation as a planet,
beat out several challengers including "climate canary" ("an
organism or species whose poor health or declining numbers
hint at a larger environmental catastrophe on the horizon),
murse (man's purse), flog (a fake blog that promotes products)
and macaca (an American citizen treated as an alien).



Well, that pretty much sums up 2006 in a word for me -- plutoed. In 2006, I became unemployed, my saintly Mom was forced to retire due to health, none of my 46 submissions for 2006 seemed to've taken fruit and AND Peter Gabriel & Company's Big Blue Ball STILL hasn't been released.

One of the things I hate about astrology is that I fit the stereotype for a Scorpio (and yes, I am a Scorpio). Yet Scorpios are ruled by both Mars and Pluto. But Pluto is now no longer a planet -- have I yet lost some tiny force keeping me together? Damn -- I think this explains my crap year. I've been plutoted.

No comments: