Wednesday, July 12, 2006

In The Beginning Was The Word...

When I first heard this Bible verse, I was convinced God was a big old THE up in the sky. Later on, in the late 1970's, I thought grease was The Word. Then I thought The Word was probably just that--"The Word". God was a Word. The Word tended to be used in a more threatening manner than God. If you go against God, slap on the wrist. But if you went against God's WORD...well, better get ready to leave this lifetime. So what's more important--God or the Word 'God'?

(Now, What Would Stephen King Do?)

I think SK would pick the Word God rather than God His/Her/Itself. (I can blame Steve for that thought, then, if I say Steve would think it rather than myself. I get enough cranky email, thank you).

Words are more important than actual things, it seems. Think of all the fuss The Bible has caused....or ANY book for that matter. Would we have bothered if no one wrote the damn things down? Would we be happier? Would be having strange discussions about God/dess on the internet? Would we be all better off thick as a brick?

Nope. We need to think and craft and create universes all in our own meanings, our words. We crave sharing these unique views with others. We need the Word "God", for God would not exist without our words.

And you can take my word on it.

No comments: