Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My Mom's Doctor's Shock the Monkey Story

I can't get away from Peter Gabriel, no matter where I go.

My Mom's been to a lot of doctors recently with her spinal problems.  One of her doctors is actually called a "pain doctor" (physiatrist.)  He recommended Mom see a neurologist.  He suggested two at the same practice, one with Peter as his first name.

"Oh, pick Peter, Mom," I said.

"Ah, you and your Peter, already!"

The doctor raised a quizzical eyebrow.

"Peter is the name of her rock star heartthrob," Mom explained.

"Peter who?" asked the doctor.

"Peter Gabriel," I replied.  When the doctor clearly wasn't sure who Peter Gabriel was (sigh), I said, "He did Shock the Monkey."

"Shock the Monkey!"

"Yeah, that's my guy."

He grinned lopsidedly.  "When I was in residency at Penn, we were allowed to have a radio on when examining patients.  Well, one day, we were testing this patient's nerves, and Shock the Monkey came on.  The patient got really offended.  As if we called the radio station and arranged to have it played right when we were examining the guy!  Anyway, long story short, they took our radio away."

That's Peter for you.  Taking radios away from physiatrists since 1982.

No comments: