Heroes will always let you down. Always. That's because a hero is an ideal and not concrete reality. Other examples of ideals that screw us up include:
- Santa Claus
- manifest destiny
- Truth, Justice and the American Way
- the Roman Republic (yes, I know the Republic ended with Augustus Caesar, but it seems to survive in some current governments such as the one in America. The ideal lives on.)
Am I mad at Peter for not living up to my hopes and expectations? Nope. I was the one dumb enough to pick heroes in the first place.
Things that Peter does that do not live up to my hero qualifications includes:
- Getting married not just once but twice. What -- he didn't learn his lesson the first time around that marriage sucks?
- Betting on horse racing. Horse racing is nothing but animal cruelty sanctioned by the filthy rich. How does Peter not get that? How does anyone not get that, for that matter?
- Being, at times, kind of an idiot.
Man, I hope Peter comes back from his around-the-world vacation soon so I can start writing some real posts instead of doing random navel-gazing.