Thursday, October 22, 2009

Islam & Christianity: Familiarity Breeds Contempt


If your life has been far too happy lately and you really need some depression in order to balance things out, there's nothing like reading a chapter of a book on Chrisitanity and then a chapter of a book on Islam and then comparing the two.

In case you're wondering, I've done just that. I read Catholicism For Dummies and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam. (Yes, I know, Catholicism is only a branch of Chrisitanity, but a hell of a big one).

The depressiong part is not only that anyone still is dim-witted enough to participate in organized religion, but that these particular two religions are so full of similarities that you really can't help but wonder what all the arguments are about. People and animals have actually died over this crap.

The similarities include:

* Belief in angels and a Judement Day
* Belief in that whole one God thing
* Belief that Christians will go to Heaven
* Belief that somehow people are better than animals
* Thou shalt not lie, commit adultery, murder or steal stuff that ain't yours
* Robes -- lots and lots of robes

So if these religions are so similar, then why to the adherents hate each other so much? It could be because they are so similar. Think about who really gets on your tits. It's usually not complete strangers, but your family or your lover. This is because they know you so well that they know precisely how to wind you up.

Really, we all need to watch "Monty Python's Life of Brian" and get on with our lives.

4 comments:

Luminosities said...

Honk if you love Brian.

RenaSherwood said...

Honk

Tirsden Frozenrayn said...

HONK! It'd probably help if I actually watched the movie. *it's on the gigantic to-do list I never look at*

At least from what I can tell you (the OP) weren't brought up in a brainwashed sect. I hope. I really do. If not, my sincerest condolences. Generic evangelical Christian is just as potentially dangerous as any of the rest. I'm so very glad I escaped in the end, but eesh, I am still dealing with undoing the brainwashing.

RenaSherwood said...

Tell you the truth, I think I'll be dealing with the organized religion brainwashing all of my life. Sad part is that I still have relatives in there.